Quick guide to use free and widelly accepted (week ago Microsoft added StartSSL certificates to known authorities !) SSL certificate on nginx webserver.
- create certificate on startssl.com
- download certificate (ssl.pem) and generated key (remove password from key using: openssl rsa -in ssl.key-pass -out ssl.key)
- download helper certificates (from http://www.startssl.com/certs/ (according to your class level, usually ca.pem sub.class1.server.ca.pem)
- do cat ssl.pem ca.pem sub.class1.server.ca.pem > server.pem
- setup configuration directives ssl_certificate and ssl_certificate_key (see http://wiki.nginx.org/NginxHttpSslModule for more info)
- that’s all, restart nginx and take a look at error.log for possible problems
- try it
Seems easy, but it took me some time and few google queries find out, how should be step 4 done, to make firefox be satisfied with this certificate, and not complaining with sec_error_unknown_issuer. Hope it saves you a minute.